Our tree is filling our home with wonderful scents of the season, twinkle lights are starting to appear on every corner in our neighborhood, shopping for our Christmas list is well under way, and you can see a sparkle in the eye of every child around town. Christmas is a time for making memories, reconnecting with loved ones, and cherishing our most beloved of treasures: our family.
Because Christmas is also a time filled with traditions, we wanted to pause and remember our favorite ones that we celebrate with our family. Maybe we share these traditions with your family…maybe you’d like to start a new one…either way, take time this season to make a memory.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Retelling memories of each Christmas ornament as they are hung on the tree.
- Getting a new Christmas ornament each year that represents something special we did as a family that year.
- Writing a letter to Santa.
- Counting down the days of Christmas with an Advent calendar….perhaps one filled with chocolate?
- Hot cocoa on a cold night as often as possible.
- Finding ways to give to others during the season: putting together a shoe-box filled with gifts for needy children, goodie bags for the homeless, or visiting a nursing home.
- Attending a local performance of “The Nutcracker” or “A Christmas Carol”.
- Driving through area neighborhoods to see all the decorated homes.
- Popcorn for dinner as we watch a favorite holiday movie.
- Decorating a gingerbread house with Grandma and Grandpa.
- Baking cookies or cupcakes for Santa.
- Opening one gift on Christmas Eve, which is usually a new pair of pajamas.
- Attending a Christmas Eve church service together.
- Sprinkling reindeer food on the lawn (carrots and oatmeal with red glitter)
- Reading the Christmas story from the Bible before going to bed on Christmas Eve.
What are your favorite family traditions for Christmas?